the old gringo

 Similarly to Proust's novel, The Old Gringo was another novel that I already had on my TBR list before starting this class, so I'm glad to have had the opportunity/excuse to read it now. I did enjoy reading it, despite it feeling a little convoluted at times. The relationships in particular were a little difficult to follow because it sometimes felt like things changed and dynamics shifted without me really noticing. Somewhat like accidentally missing a couple episodes of a series and suddenly being confused. 

Harriet Winslow's relationships with Arroyo and the Gringo (who we later find is Ambrose Bierce unless you watch the lecture first) are notably difficult to follow. There were times when I couldn't figure out if Harriet was attracted to Arroyo, or faking it, or liked him, or hated him, or any combination of the four. The Gringo's relationship with her was strange too; an odd in-between of paternal and romantic that I can't quite decipher, though to be fair, neither can the characters themselves.

Other than romance, the main themes that stuck out to me in the novel were those of memory, trauma, bitterness, and revenge. All of those themes are tightly interconnected with each other, and also fit in nicely with many of the other books we have read as part of the course. I feel like almost (if not all) the novels we have read have had links with memory, predominantly negative memories and emotions, and this is no exception.

I know that others have mentioned the poetic aspect of the novel. Though my translation seems to have less of it than others', my favourite poetic snippet was at the end of Chapter 10 (my pdf has no page numbers :/ ) saying "My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of felony". As far as I know, the usual lyrics of the song have the word "liberty" instead of "felony", so I find it very interesting that an American character would switch out the word used. I also find it apt because of the numerous examples, both contemporary and historical, of America and other Western countries being built off the backs of crime and injustice, where to hail freedom can be considered hypocrisy. 

As mentioned earlier, there seem to be times where two opposites are coming to a head, and we are confronted with both sides of one coin, so to speak. Love and hate, attraction and repulsion are two pairs, but the one that stood out to me most was Harriet's distaste for hiding jewels behind the figure of Jesus on the cross. I thought it was interesting because it was a contrast that wouldn't have immediately occurred to me without being pointed out, and it makes sense to me now that it has been pointed out. 

My question this week: what do you think could have driven the gringo to seek his death in Mexico?

Comments

  1. Hello Deeba! to discuss your question, I think that the Gringo looked towards a romanticized image of his past in the U.S Civil War and saw it as truly the most important period of his lifetime and wanted to return that soldiery lifestyle. Though, he also might have looked at Mexico as a land untainted fully by the effects of Capitalism and Industrialization. Therefore, he saw Mexico as being a land better suited as his resting place compared to the corruption of the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deeba! I do agree that the format of the narrative and prose can make it a little difficult to follow exactly what's going on. In particular that feeling of having "missed a couple episodes" felt salient to me in particular. I also find it interesting how you mention the poetic nature of the writing feels less present in your translation. Makes me wonder what else is being lost in translation in these novels. In terms of the question, I would assume Bierce's motivation is wanting a final escape from his former life in the US. Not only a last chance at some action and a functional change of identity in Mexico, but also finally bringing his painful journey to an end.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way - making my ability to read feel like Proust without the Po

bonjour tristesse my old friend

Paris Peasant - A novel that is not a novel? How novel!