The Society of Reluctant Dreamers - ending the semester on a high

 This book was definitely up there among my favourites of this term. It was simultaneously light and dealt with themes that I connected with, so I was able to engage with it more than I could with some other books we read. There were many themes involved in the novel, but the one that resonated with me the most was that of identity. On pages 117 and 118 (of my pdf - not sure what the page numbers are for a physical copy), there is a discussion of nationality and identity. I found it funny that Clarice Lispector was mentioned; though I didn't personally read her book this term, it still felt like a fun little crossover. 

As someone who has Iranian heritage, was born and raised in the UK, and is now living in Canada, I've thought a lot about how nationality may or may not be part of our identities. I would still consider myself Iranian if I didn't have citizenship, though I'm not sure that I'll ever consider myself Canadian even if I get the passport. I just think it's interesting how some places become ingrained in our identities, while some don't ever get to that status. 

Another quote that got the wheels in my head turning was: "Pacifism, my dear brother, is like mermaids: it can only breathe in the sea of fantasy, reality doesn't suit it", (p132 of my pdf). It reminds me of the quote from Soldiers of Salamis I discussed last week; "to me a civilised country is one where people don't have to waste their time on politics". Both contain a thread of idealism, though one is idealistic and the other shuts it down. It also makes me think about my stance on pacifism. Does it really work? Maybe it does. I feel like I could argue both sides. 

Overall, I think this novel did a good job of illustrating the places in between; neither fully good, nor fully bad, neither completely real, nor completely fantastical. The line that struck me as illustrating this idea well was: "Yes, he's a thug and a good father. I don't like the thug, but I love the father me is to me". It's a reminder of all the shades of grey in life and in people. I find it a more balanced view of the world, and an understanding that comes with age; 10 year old me certainly wouldn't have been able to fully comprehend it, and I think 30 year old me will have an even stronger grasp of the concept. 

The question I now pose to you is about pacifism. Do you think it can only exist in fantasy? Or can it survive in our current world?

Comments

  1. On nationality and identity, Benchimol is a couple of times berated for not being sufficiently Angolan, or sufficiently in touch with Angola. What do we think of the fact that he leaves the country at the end of the book then? (And it may or may not be relevant that, I understand, Agualusa himself no longer lives in Angola... are either he or Benchimol any the less Angolan for that?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a bicultural person I do sometimes feel that I'm not enough of either of my cultures, but I don't hold it against him that he left. Are we any less British for having left the UK?

      Delete
    2. Whatever "British" may be... :)

      Delete
  2. I really like your thought-provoking question Deeba. I do believe that one can make an individual choice to be a pacifist or a conscientious objector to wars. However, we historically see no example of nation-states ever coming to an agreement on giving up their arms or nuclear weapons, so it makes me a pessimist in terms of whether it's realizable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way - making my ability to read feel like Proust without the Po

bonjour tristesse my old friend

Paris Peasant - A novel that is not a novel? How novel!