Swann's Way - making my ability to read feel like Proust without the Po

 Let me preface all this by saying that I did not understand what I was reading, and this was further emphasised to me when I read the sparknotes pages after finishing "Combray".

I really wanted to fall in love with this text. In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust has an almost revered place in my home; my stepdad, who is at the beloved centre of our family first read Swann's Way when he was my current age (20), albeit in the Persian translation. Since then, he has read it in English too, and is learning French for the sole purpose of being able to read all seven volumes of this masterful novel in the original language. I'm not kidding, Proust is the reason why he is learning French, and why the act of language-learning is a constant for us all.

I didn't understand what was going on at all. I didn't even realise that things were going on. I didn't pick up a plot, I couldn't follow the paragraph-long sentences—may I refer to a 192-word long sentence about buttercups—I was just lost. I remember asking my stepdad, who is a very intelligent man, if he understood what was going on when he was reading it for the first time at my age. He said that he didn't, and that felt a little validating, to be honest.

Nonetheless, I did pick up a few small things. Now obviously, Marcel Proust and the narrator come from an affluent, upper-class background and, as with many writings from the early 20th century, there's going to be some analysis about social class. I really liked the part of the story where he speculates about the appearance of the Duchess. He has all these theories and ideas about what she's going to look like, before actually seeing her and being disappointed by her mundane-ness. She just looks like any other person in his social circle. She just looks like a person.

I'm sure that people have idolised the appearances of the upper class for many, many years. I think of European monarchs in the 1500s who would have portraits commissioned with their flaws concealed and their youth exaggerated, just to have the paintings taken around the country for their subjects to see what they supposedly looked like. I imagine there's always been this notion that higher class automatically means more beauty, so it's thought-provoking to see that notion shatter before the narrator's eyes.

Also, I didn't like that he pretends that Gilberte and the Duchess' eyes are blue, just because he associates blue eyes with beauty. Sure, go on about beauty standards and all that but let it be known that I stand with my fellow brown-eyed people and would like to make it clear that brown eyes are also very beautiful and they deserve as much hype as blue eyes.

My question upon reading this part of the novel is that to what extent is the narrator's relationship with each of his parents normal and/or healthy? Because I'm seeing some Oedipal subtexts and I can't say I enjoy it.

Comments

  1. Hi Deeba! I was amazed to read of the strong ties (and influence) that Proust has regarding your family's language learning and literature reading. That is a remarkable story, and now you are continuing the legacy. I did want to make sure (as I believe you mentioned this in our small group, but I forgot to get back to this point) that you are reading the translation suggested by Jon, and the one available in PDF on the RMST 202 course website. There are other, older translations available (you mentioned listening to an audiobook, I believe) that are known for their wordiness and difficulty. If this is the case, I suggest you give Lydia Davis's translation a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! No, I wasn't reading Lydia Davis' translation but I wish I was! The original book list on the SSC didn't specify a particular translation so I just went with the first one I saw on the Project Gutenberg website. The one you suggest definitely looks easier though, so I'll probably use it to read the rest of the book :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Deeba! I really enjoyed reading your analysis. I too found it difficult to read/understand much of Proust's book. Like you said, it was hard for me to establish a plot and recognize the flow of the story. One of my favourite parts was when he described the Dutchess before he saw her as well. I found it to be the most interesting (and easier) section to read. To answer your question, it's difficult putting in contrast the timeline/date this book was published. This possibly could have been a projection of a normal child/parent relationship at the time, but I don't necessarily think it would be considered healthy in todays day in age. I think it may be labelled too dependent or a underdeveloped attachment style in which is heavily reliant on the mother for nurture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deeba! I also dont understand what is going on when I first started the book. I need to re-read a few times to get it into my head. However, it got better for me after he focused the story on his memories back in Combray. To answer your question, I also agree with the comment above mine. Depending on which timeline the book is, it may be a normal parent/child relationship. However, it does not seem to be a healthy parent/child relationship to me in any timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deeba!

    Thank you for your thoughtful reflection. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who was really confused at what was going on! That is a great insight into the connection between social class and appearance. I find that characters in novels of a lower class are portrayed as weak, ugly and repulsive in appearance, while those of greater status are described as glowing, put-together, and attractive in appearance. I think that your point about him imagining her with blue eyes was correct. I think that perhaps sometimes, this also has to do a lot with race. Blue eyes, and fair skin was often the beauty standard in the past and this may have crept into many people's expectations of how royalty would look like as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris Peasant - A novel that is not a novel? How novel!

bonjour tristesse my old friend