Paris Peasant - A novel that is not a novel? How novel!

Louis Aragon's Paris Peasant was certainly an easier read for me than Proust's Swann's Way was. I imagine it is to do with the translation, though of course the writing style of the original author. In fact, I found myself thinking about translation a lot while reading this book. There were parts that had very interesting metaphors and jokes that I would love to see in the original language. I especially noticed this in the F.M.R. section where even the translator made a note that the original pun worked so much better. I suppose this is one of the weaknesses of translation; you can never conserve all the layers of meaning within a word or a phrase because you always have to choose one. If you can find a way to make it work with more than one meaning then you're lucky.

Before starting the book, I knew that Aragon was part of the surrealist, avant-garde movement and you can tell. Paris Peasant has been described as a "novel-that-[is]-not-a-novel" and I agree with that description because there isn't really a story that I could pick up on. Truthfully, it felt more like Aragon's personal musings than a novel, but it was interesting nonetheless. 

That said, some of his musings aren't particularly savoury, especially those about women. The way he describes women struck me as being a bit... weird... to say the least. Numerous paragraphs on women's hair, their bodies, how much he likes blondes... let's just say that he wouldn't pass the 2022 vibe check. But we kind of knew that already, and I think he did too. After all, he did say that it "matters very little to me whether or not I have reason on my side. I do not seek to be right. I seek the concrete." 

So I don't think he'd be particularly bothered about our opinions. Or anyone's opinions. Because he said some things about religion that would be controversial today, let alone the 1920s. As a communist, you can see the threads of Karl Marx's ideas in his writing, especially in the parts about religion. He comments that religion is a sign of "mental laziness" and notices that religion is becoming replaced with a sense of human morality. Certainly, we can see that religiosity has declined over the past century or so, so his prediction wasn't completely inaccurate.

In fact, some of his predictions were funnily accurate. One of the first quotes that really caught my attention was about how young people will eschew work, marriage, and children (or something along those lines, unfortunately I can't find the exact quote anymore, try as I might). I thought it was a very interesting observation, especially since nowadays the "Child-free by choice" and "I don't dream of labour" movements are increasing in popularity, especially among young adults.

In all, I'm not entirely sure that I managed to glean every message from the book and I think I'd have to read it a second time to better understand it, but what I did pick up was definitely thought-provoking. The question I'd like to present is; What makes a novel a novel, if this is a "novel-that-is-not-a-novel"?

Comments

  1. Hi Deeba! I really enjoyed reading your reflection, I picked up on a lot of the points you mentioned too. I particularly agree with your take that Aragon's references and descriptions of women are distasteful to say the least. I was shocked after reading that one section on his loves for blondes, it made me look unfavourably towards the narrator as he objectified various women.

    To answer your question, I think there are well-established norms and expectations that people have for what constitutes a novel. I like how the narrator challenges such norms and expectations, as when we are looking at art, such as literature, we need to appreciate it for what it is, rather than trying to confine it to some arbitrary category.

    -Mackenzie Dewar-Pratt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deeba! Great blog post! I really liked reading it. I agree this book was easier to read, even with all the abstract concepts. I found Aragons view on women to me very disturbing and uncalled for as well. To answer the question, I don't think there is a written criteria for what makes a novel a novel. There are commonalities and trends for sure amongst them, but I don't think there should be restrictions when it comes to writing.
    -Tamara Vukota

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Deeba! I really enjoyed your blog post!! Your tittle really brought me into it, you should continue to be creative :). To answer your question, I believe a novel can come in many forms. I don’t think it necessarily needs characters, or plots in the generic way. Rather, it needs to have context. It needs something ti bring the reader in and keep them there!

    - Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A novel that is not a novel? How novel!" - another great / fun title for your blog post, Deeba!

    And I enjoyed reading your critiques of what Aragon has to say on women, religion etc.
    I encourage you to put page numbers as references whenever possible, so that your peers can easily refer to these passages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deeba,
    I agree with your point about this 'novel' being more like the author's musings than an ACTUAL novel. To answer your question, I think a novel is something that needs to have a solid setting to build off of. There has to be some context so that the reader knows what they're navigating. I wouldn't say it's necessary to have a definitive plot but, as a reader, I would really enjoy if there was some obstacle that the protagonist trying to overcome. Characters, the more the merrier, but of course, not too many so that I get confused.
    Overall, from what I recall, this book was quite an interesting read.
    - Vidushi Singh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swann's Way - making my ability to read feel like Proust without the Po

bonjour tristesse my old friend

The Shrouded Woman - How dead is dead?